Friday, January 16, 2015

"Enough Said..." about my divorce. (Whoops! Did I write that?)


At first glance, “Enough Said,” appears to be just another quirky little, self-deprecating romantic comedy. But writer/director Nicole Holofcener gives us something much more down to earth and real. It is actually a different kind of love triangle. Two recent divorcees, Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and Albert (James Gandolfini), find comfort in sharing life’s changes until Eva unwittingly befriends her new beau’s ex-wife (Catherine Keener) and starts seeing Albert through his ex-wife’s disgruntled eyes.

Director Nicole Holofcener and Actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus
I actually watched this film a second time for the warm feeling it left me. A recent divorcee myself, I found comfort in sharing their post-divorce challenges. Like Albert and Eva, I was reeling from the thought of my kid leaving for college. After coping with shared custody, empty nest syndrome hit like a ton of bricks. But Eva and Albert discover that sharing coping strategies and jokes makes it a little easier. I cringed as Eva allowed Albert’s ex to vent about him. But I understood how, after going through a broken marriage, she was afraid of making the same mistake twice. Like so many of us in the dating world, she set impossibly high standards so she wouldn't  be hurt again. When the conflict comes to a head, Eva and Albert must decide if sharing their messy lives is worth the effort. This isn't escapist romance. It’s down to earth, awkward, and sometimes comforting like sharing your life.

Love this movie! Enough said. 

Movie blessings! 
Jana Segal
www.reelinspiration.blospot.com



No comments: